Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Matter of Perspective

This is going to be a short post. I don't have much to say today, but the last 7 days have been such a whirlwind of devastation that I felt the need to say something.

Never in my life have I been handed such a heaping dose of perspective. A week that started with the senseless killing of two innocent children and evolved into the worst devastation we've ever seen in the Northeast of the United States.

I've woken up every day this week and taken a moment to acknowledge how lucky I am. I have found myself shrugging my shoulders at things that would ordinarily bother me, with a new attitude of "no matter how bad I feel right now, it could be much worse." I am the first person to say that it is not healthy or even possible to go through life constantly comparing our situations to others and denying ourselves our feelings because others are suffering. However, in this case, given the proximity of all of this horror, I am aware of the fragility of life more than I ever have been and I am using this opportunity to remind myself how fortunate I am. I am sure that as time goes on this new found perspective will fade a little, but I hope not to lose sight of the fact that every day with the people I love is a gift I should be grateful for. You just never know what tomorrow will bring.

Text "red cross" to 90999 to donate $10 to hurricane relief efforts. (donation will be tacked onto your cell phone bill)

3 comments: