Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Quick and Easy Activity to Do With Your Toddler

I am so lucky to be able to spend a couple of days a week at home with my son. But, with the weather being so cold, it's been challenging to think of good ways to spend our time together. I am sure other mothers are having the same difficulty, so I thought I'd share this little game we played yesterday that my son really loved.

I brought out 4 pieces of tupperware and a pitcher of water. I let him watch me as I poured some water into each container. I then took out food coloring and proceeded to turn each bowl of water into a different color. I wasn't sure what we would do once I'd added the colors, but I hoped that he would at least be interested in watching the change. What was great was that he then, on his own, started sticking his hands into each bowl and seeing what happened to his hand as it was submerged in the colored water. It did get somewhat messy (I threw down a towel after the photo was taken), but he was completely fascinated and it was definitely worth the trouble.

My son is 18-months-old and doesn't have the longest attention span so it was not an activity that took up too much time, but it was nice to take a break from our usual story/puzzles/blocks routine. It was also a fun way to go over the names of each of the colors. As he gets older I may add some extra empty tupperware and experiment with pouring in the different colors and seeing what they make when mixed together.

What are some of the ways that you and your toddler keep busy when you're cooped up in the house? Share in the comments below :)


1 comment:

  1. Hi! Found you on bloggy mom's Feb blog hop. I have a 15 month old with a lot of energy and short attention span. She also loves playing with the dog water bowl, so I think she would like this. I will have to give it a try. Now following you :)

    Jackie
    www.thenonmarthamomma.com
    www.facebook.com/TheNonMarthaMomma

    ReplyDelete